Skip to content
Healthier Grilled Cheese and Tomato Balsamic Soup
- 2 slices whole wheat bread (preferably fresh)
- Sliced Monterrey Jack , Muenster, Cheddar, or Mozzarella Cheese (enough to cover bread)
- 2 tsp. J. Olive Co. EVOO
- 1 Tbsp. J. Olive Co. EVOO
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (28 oz.) cans whole tomatoes w/juice (or diced tomatoes to avoid blender)
- 1/2 t kosher salt
- 1/4 t black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 T brown sugar
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3-4 Tbsp. J. Olive Co. Traditional Balsamic
- Chives or cilantro for topping (optional)
- Preheat a small nonstick fry pan over medium low heat.
- Place cheese slices (enough to cover bread) between 2 slices of wheat bread.
- Once fry pan is warm drizzle with 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, slightly tilt pan back and forth to evenly spread oil.
- Place sandwich in oil, cover with a lid and cook until bottom is golden, about 2 minutes.
- Then lift sandwich with a spatula an add remaining 1 tsp olive oil to fry pan. Flip sandwich and cook opposite side until golden.
- Heat EVOO in large pot over medium high heat. Add diced onion and sauté until softened.
- Add minced garlic and cook for a minute. Add salt, pepper and 2 cans whole tomatoes.
- Use potato masher to mash tomatoes until they are broken up.
- Add in bay leaf, brown sugar and chicken broth and bring mixture to boil.
- Once soup is boiling, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat and cool slightly.
- Pour half into a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Make sure lid is on securely before processing.
- Continue until all is processed. Return soup to pot and stir in balsamic.
- Bring soup to simmer and cook for several minutes.
- Serve in bowls–drizzle with balsamic on top and top with chives or cilantro, or grated cheese if desired.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.