- 8 slices of bread (1/2″ thick slices)
- 8 large eggs (preferably organic and free range)
- 1/2 cup J. Olive Co. olive oil of choice – J. Olive Co. EVOO or infused olive oil such as Baklouti, lemon, garlic, mushroom sage,
- butter, gremolata, add a drop of truffle (for a seriously luxurious experience).
- Fresh ground pepper (optional) to taste
- A few pinches of fine sea salt (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and adjust a rack to the middle of the oven. Line a large rimmed baking with parchment paper.
- Arrange the bread slices on the baking sheet. Using a pastry brush, liberally coat each slice of bread on both sides with the olive oil of your choice.
- Using a cookie cutter, or other round cutter, cut out a hole (approximately 2 1/2″ in diameter) in the center of each slice of bread.
- Crack an egg into each hole. Season the bread and eggs with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake for 10 minutes – or until bread is lightly toasted and eggs are set, but the yolk is still a little runny. For well don eggs with a solid yolk, cook for 12 minutes.
Special thanks to Veronica Foods for this fantastic recipe!