- 1 ¾ cup water, divided
- ½ cup uncooked bulgur or cracked wheat, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed very well in a sieve, and drained
- 3 Tbsp J. Olive Co. Lemon Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp J. Olive Co. Pomegranate-Quince Balsamic
- ¾ tsp kosher or sea salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Honey or sugar, optional and to taste
- 1 ½ cups fresh sweet cherries, pitted and halved (about 10 ounces)
- 1 ½ cups sugar snap peas, trimmed and cut into ½ “ pieces (about 6 oz)
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 cup precooked brown rice (leftover is fine!)
- 2 oz crumbled goat cheese or cheese of your choice, optional
- Bring 1 cup of water to boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the bulgur or cracked wheat. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes for bulgur, 25 for cracked wheat. Remove the pan from the heat and let the bulgur or cracked wheat stand for 5 minutes. Spoon the grain onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bring ¾ cup water and rinsed quinoa to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 12 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed. Add the quinoa to the other grain on the baking sheet and cool to room temperature.
- Combine olive oil and balsamic in a small bowl. Whisk together and add salt and pepper. Taste, and add sweetener, if desired.
- Combine the grains, cherries, snap peas, onion, mint and rice in a large bowl. Add the oil and vinegar mixture and toss. Sprinkle with goat cheese, if desired.
Recipe and image courtesy of Flying Olive