- 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked in 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp Baking soda
- 4 Garlic cloves, crushed
- Ice Water
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2/3 cup tahini, good quality very important
- ¼ tsp cumin
- J. Olive Co. EVOO, to taste
- Lime juice
- Place chickpeas in a large bowl with 2 tsp baking soda. Let soak overnight. The next day, drain the soaked garbanzo beans.
- Toss the beans in the 1 Tbsp Baking soda and bake in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes. Take the garbanzo beans out and rinse thoroughly.
- Add to a pot and cover with 3 inches of water and bring to a boil. Cut down to a simmer and start straining skins.
- Cook until beans are cooked then cook some more. You want these beans to be cooked a lot so the hummus is smooth.
- Take your crushed garlic and steep in the lemon juice for 10-15 minutes. Strain off garlic.
- In a food processor add the tahini mixture and lemon juice mixture.
- Turn machine on and have ice water ready because it will lock up. Slowly stream in ice water until it smooths out.
- Next add garbanzo beans to taste. Season with salt, cumin and olive oil.
- Finish by creating a well with the hummus and filling with olive oil, lime juice and jalapeño.
Recipe courtesy of Alex Eaton of The Manship and Aplos