- 3 small or 2 medium zucchini (about 1 pound)
- Kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp plus 1 tsp J. Olive Co. Tuscan Herb olive oil
- 1 Tbsp J. Olive Co. Sicilian Lemon balsamic
- 1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- Wash the zucchini well to remove any grit and dry them with paper towels.
- Trim off the ends and quarter the zucchini lengthwise.
- Slice off the top 1/4 to 1/2 inch of the soft seed core by running a sharp knife down the length of each quarter; it’s all right if some of the seeds remain.
- Arrange the zucchini, cut side up, on a baking sheet lined with paper towels.
- Sprinkle with kosher salt (about 1/2 tsp per 1 lb of zucchini) and set aside for 10 min.
- Blot the quarters dry with the paper towels.
- Heat a gas grill to medium high or prepare a medium-hot charcoal fire. I
- n a small bowl, whisk 2 Tbsp of oil, balsamic, thyme, lemon zest, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp pepper.
- Toss the zucchini with the remaining 1 tsp olive oil.
- Set the zucchini cut side down on the grill and cook (if using a gas grill, keep the lid closed), flipping occasionally, until it browns and softens but doesn’t turn mushy, 6 to 8 min.
- Cut the zucchini into 3-inch pieces and put in a medium bowl.
- Whisk the vinaigrette again and drizzle over the zucchini.
- Sprinkle on the Parmigiano, toss well, adjust the seasonings to taste, and serve immediately.
Recipe and image courtesy of Fine Cooking