- J. Olive Co. Cilantro & Roasted Onion Olive Oil for frying
- 4 whole egg whites
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 4 whole boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
Ingredients for Sauce:
- 1/2 c. orange juice
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp J. Olive Co. Grapefruit Balsamic
- 1/4 tsp. J. Olive Co. Toasted Sesame Oil
- dash of salt
- dash of crushed red pepper, more to taste
- 1 clove Black Garlic, mushed
- 2 tsp. minced ginger
- 1 tsp. cornstarch (additional)
- 1/4 c. water
- 2 whole green onions, sliced
- Instructions for Chicken: In a large bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and egg whites with a fork until almost frothy, about 1 minute. Add the chicken to the mixture and allow to sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Instructions for the Sauce: Meanwhile, put the orange juice, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, sesame oil, salt, crushed red pepper, garlic and ginger in a small nonstick skillet and whisk together. Heat until bubbling and starting to thicken, about 3-4 minutes. Whisk together the cornstarch and 1/4 cup water in a small bowl and add 1 to 2 tablespoons of the cornstarch slurry to the sauce. Mix in and thicken for 1 minute. If sauce gets overly thick, just add in another 1/4 cup water and whisk in.
- Cooking Instructions: Heat about 2 inches of Olive Oil in a heavy-bottomed pot until a deep-fry thermometer inserted in the oil registers 350F. In batches, carefully drop a few pieces of chicken into the oil (drop them in one by one to keep them from sticking together) and move it around, 2-3 minutes or until light golden. Let the pieces drain on a plate lined with paper towels for 2 to 3 minutes. Then drop them back into the oil for 1 minute to really solidify the coating. Toss the chicken in the sauce and serve immediately with sliced green onions on the the bias.
Original recipe found at Prairie Oils