- 8 oz. bittersweet or semisweet chocolate (60-62% cacao), chopped
- 5 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup J. Olive Co. EVOO
- A pinch of fine sea salt
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably non-alkalized)
- 1 bright skinned organic or unsprayed orange for zesting (optional), washed
- Place the chocolate, butter, EVOO, and salt in the top of a double boiler over barely simmering water. Stir frequently until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Pour the mixture into a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least three hours (or up to 3 days) to harden.
- Remove and let the mixture stand at room temperature for 15 or more minutes to soften very slightly.
- Spread the cocoa in a shallow pie or cake pan. If desired, use a micro plane zester to grate zest from half of the orange directly over the cocoa. Scrape a tiny scoop or melon baller across the surface of the chocolate mixture to form an irregular round truffle, 1 inch or less in diameter. Place the truffle in the pie pan. Shake the pan to roll the truffle in cocoa. Repeat until all of the truffles are shaped and coated.
- Remove the truffles from the cocoa to a covered container. Refrigerate to store. Remove truffles from the fridge about 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe courtesy of California Olive Ranch