Caramelized Vegetable Croquettes
- 2 cups coarsely mashed Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 cup broccoli florets, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup cauliflower florets, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp Oro Bailen Picual for sauteing & frying
- 1/3 cup cherve (fresh goat cheese) creme fraiche, or sour cream
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- mixed baby greens (optional)
Gremolata Hollandaise Sauce*
- 3 large room temperature egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp J.Olive Co. Sicilian Lemon White Balsamic
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup J.Olive Co. Milanese Gremolata Olive Oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- freshly cracked pepper (optional)
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a small saucepan until very warm, about 180 degrees. In the bowl of a food processor or in the jar of a blender, add the vinegar, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and egg yolks. Process briefly to blend everything. With the motor running, slowly drizzle in warmed olive oil and butter.
- In a sauté pan set over medium-high heat, add 2 Tbsp of extremely fresh, low FFA below .3, high phenol (above 300 ppm) fruity-green extra virgin olive such as Oro Bailen Picual. Add the shallots, broccoli, and cauliflower and sauté until golden brown, and slightly caramelized (about 20 minutes) add the garlic at the last minute. Add the coarsely mashed potatoes to a large bowl and add the goat cheese, pepper, and salt. Add the caramelized veggie mixture to the potatoes and mix gently, keeping the veggies intact as much as possible. Add the beaten egg to wide flat container or bowl, and add the Panko breadcrumbs to another bowl. Season the egg with a little salt.
- Once the potato mixture has cooled enough to handle, form six patties, about 4″ wide and 1″ thick. Dip each patty into the seasoned egg, and then into the Panko breadcrumbs making sure to gently press the crumbs on to the patty. Set the patties on to a lined baking sheet and set aside.
- Heat 1/2″ of Oro Bailen Picual in a wide heavy sauté pan over medium-high heat until it reaches 325 on a deep-fry thermometer. Pan-fry the patties until golden brown on both sides – set aside on a lined baking sheet. Poach 6 large eggs. To assemble, arrange the mixed baby greens on the plate. Top with the warm veggie patty. Set a poached egg atop the veggie patty and ladle the Hollandaise over the top.
Recipe shared by Rachel Bradley-Gomez