This pasta salad can also be turned into a warm dish when the ingredients are topped with hot spaghetti instead of the room temperature pasta. When you do this, the cheese will melt into the pasta and become nice and “gooey”.
- 1 pound pasta (Penne, Fusilli, BowTie)
- J. Olive Co. Basil olive oil
- 1/3 Cup J. Olive Co. EVOO
- 2 cloves garlic
- Large handful of fresh basil leaves, sliced into chiffonade strips, about 1 Cup
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, or more if you love it
- 2 Cups tomatoes, seeded & chopped
- 1/3 Cup pesto (See recipe, or use store-bought pesto)
- Cook pasta until Al Dente (according to package directions)
- Drain in a colander and toss with Basil Olive Oil or EVOO. Set aside to cool.
- Smash garlic and marinate in the 1/3 Cup oil in a large serving bowl.
- Set aside for 15 or 20 minutes.
- Remove garlic.
- Add chopped tomatoes, chopped or torn mozzarella pieces, and sliced basil.
- Toss in the cooled pasta and pesto.
- If desired you can add shredded Parmesan on top and a sprig of fresh basil for decoration.
Recipe courtesy of Susan Hickman