- 2 lbs Pearl onions
- 1 cup Dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 5 Tbsp J. Olive Co.’s Maple Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp J. Olive Co.’s Butter Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 cup Water
- 8-10 lb Ham shank, fully cooked, fat trimmed
- Cook onions in large pot of boiling, salted water for 2 minutes; remove from heat and drain. Trim root ends, leaving base intact. Peel and set aside. (Onions may be made 1 day ahead; cover and refrigerate.)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a large roasting pan with aluminum foil. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, and Dijon mustard to make the balsamic glaze. Place prepared onions in a 11×7 glass baking dish. Add 2/3 cup of the prepared balsamic glaze, olive oil, salt, pepper and water; toss to coat. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Making 1/2-inch deep slits, score ham with diamond pattern. Place ham in prepared pan and bake 45 minutes. Place the baking dish with the onions in the oven. Roast ham and onions 25 minutes. Uncover onions and continue roasting onions and ham an additional 50 minutes. Baste ham with some of balsamic glaze. Continue to roast ham and onions until deep brown and glazed, brushing ham with balsamic glaze every 10 minutes, about 30 minutes longer. Remove from oven and transfer ham to large platter. Transfer onion mixture to bowl. Serve ham, passing onion mixture.