Warm, spicy, ever so cheesy, and savory, this cornbread is delicious by itself or accompanied by a steamy bowl of soup.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 Tbsp J. Olive Co. Cloister honey
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup J. Olive Co. Baklouti Chili Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup J. Olive Co. EVOO
- 8 oz sharp grated Cheddar, 2 ounces reserved
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions, +2 tablespoons reserved
- 2 Tbsp (1 small pepper) seeded finely diced fresh Anaheim pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 by 9-inch baking pan with olive oil.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, J. Olive Co. Cloister honey, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs, and J. Olive Co. Baklouti Olive Oil & EVOO. With a wooden spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry. Mix in the grated Cheddar, scallions and Anaheim peppers.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and sprinkle with the reserved grated Cheddar and extra chopped scallions. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool and cut into large squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.