- 8 cups chopped red leaf lettuce, about 1 large head
- 1 medium apple, cored and thinly sliced (we like Gala apple)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onions
- 3/4 cup walnut halves, toasted + roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup J. Olive Co. EVOO
- 2 Tbsp J. Olive Co. Red Apple balsamic
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp honey or maple syrup
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Prepare the vinaigrette: in a small bowl, combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard, and honey. Whisk until blended. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Assemble the salad: in a large bowl combine the lettuce, apples, red onions, walnuts, and feta. Drizzle with desired amount of vinaigrette and serve immediately. You’ll have leftover vinaigrette, which can be refrigerated in an airtight container for at least one week, if not more.
- Lettuce: Red leaf, green leaf, romaine, or spinach are all good greens to use in this salad.
- Apples: We like Gala apple for this salad but pretty much any crunchy variety of apples work.
- Walnuts: don’t like walnuts? Try pecans, pumpkin seeds, or sunflower seeds.
- Make Ahead: prepare the vinaigrette and assemble the salad without the apples. Refrigerate separately and right before serving, add the apples and vinaigrette. Once the salad has been drizzled with the vinaigrette it does not hold up well in the fridge.
Recipe and image courtesy of Little Broken